Can a Spiritual Guru Solve All your Problems?
THE WEIGHT LOSS CLUB
- Author: Devapriya Roy
- Book Release date: 2013
- Movie: –
- Pages: 297
- Audience: Occasional reader
The Weight Loss Club by Devapriya Roy is a warm and witty novel which highlights social stigmas faced by average middle class families in India. As the name suggests, it talks about living, loving and losing weight.
Set in a middle-class bengali housing colony, it spans across many characters of different age groups, situations and circumstances. Reader feels a personal connection with these characters each dealing with their own struggles such as:
- Monalisa: Stay at home mother having same OCD for her children’s marks as for spick-span shiny table tops.
- Meera: A young woman struggling to be an ideal daughter-in-law for her traditional mother-in-law.
- Treeza: Bright and confident school secretary who suddenly falls into severe depression.
- Abeer: Teenager who falls hopelessly in love with a girl dating the most popular boy of the class.
- Aparajita: Professionally successful PhD whose mother is straight out of Jane Austen’s Pride and Prejudice trying desperately to get her married.
- Ananda: Middle-aged bachelor living with his old mother.
- Sandhya: Half hippie, half saadhvi, full spiritual guru who seemed to have jumped straight out of the movie Eat, Pray, Love.
So whether you are a teenager struggling to impress the pretty girl or mature adult unable to tackle your kids, this story have something in store for everyone.
This is a simple story of self realisation without any mind-boggling twists, turns and frills of a thriller novel. Not only is the novel extremely relatable also it teaches how big issues in our life might have some very simple solutions.
I enjoyed reading as it was very relatable but also struggled to finish it as it as it lacked the thrill of a mystery genre which I personally like to read.
Comment below if you would like to know about my all time favourite mystery and thriller novels.
If you like this blog, don’t forget to check out my other blogs. You can also follow me on my other social media platforms to keep up with my new blogs and my current readings and also some of my favourite quotes and snippets from my favourite books.
Contact for Enquiries: Email